Welcome to Week 9, the halfway point of the season which leads into the home stretch of your Fantasy Playoff Run. Even for this week, I still have some barn burners for you this week beginning in Tennessee.
1. If you read my 2023 draft predictions, you will notice not only did I have Will Levis going to the Titans (albeit the 11th overall pick), but you will notice that I had him as the second-best quarterback in the draft behind Anthony Richardson. Last week he did nothing to disprove that, as he tossed for 238 yards and 4 touchdowns against the Falcons.
2. This just in: If you are looking for a quarterback to replace Kirk Cousins, look no further than Minnesota itself who just acquired Josh Dobbs in a trade with the Cardinals. I believe this could be an upgrade starting next week for Dobbs as he acclimates himself to the Vikings offense with the impending return of Justin Jefferson, who could be activated next week from the PUP list.
3. I missed the boat on this guy last week at running back because I read an erroneous report that claimed he was on the practice squad. That would be Darrel Henderson Jr. of the Los Angeles Rams. Henderson led the team in carries (12) and yards (44) in that blowout against the Cowboys. He is still out-carrying Royce Freeman and still has some relevancy going into next week’s match up against the Packers.
4. Devin Singletary is slowly juxtaposing himself into the number one back down in Houston over Dameon Pierce. Last week against the Panthers, he had 10 carries to Pierce’s 12. Pierce right now is averaging a very pedestrian 3.0 yards per carry (trust me, I know as I wasted a second-round pick on him in a keeper league). Singletary could take over as the lead back in Houston.
5. Speaking of taking over, how about in Buffalo where former Heisman back Leonard Fournette signs with the Bills this week? I think it is a crafty move by the Bills who can now energize the running game with this all-purpose back during a playoff run. We all know that Fournette can do it all and what better place than in Buffalo.
6. There is a name rather shocking to me that is only on roughly 50% of the Yahoo! leagues. Jahan Dotson from Washington might finally be living up the breakout season hype as he had 8 grabs in 10 targets for 108 yards and a touchdown against the stingy Eagles defense. This week he has New England and might be worth a looksie if he is available.
7. Another secondary receiver who is also available in a lot of leagues is Brandin Cooks of the Cowboys. Cooks is available in 45% of CBS and 59% of Yahoo! leagues. He has had touchdown catches in consecutive active weeks (Cowboys had a bye in Week 7) and is a nice supplemental option to CeeDee Lamb.
8. Another tight end has emerged in the “Valley of the Sun.” With Zach Ertz out in Arizona, check out Trey McBride who had 10 grabs for 95 yards and a touchdown last weekend against the Ravens. The second-year tight end seems like a very viable option with the impending return of Kyler Murray on the horizon.
9. Looking for a defense? Who is playing the Bears this week and back-up Tyler “Secret” Bagent “Man?” That would be the New Orleans Saints. Look for the Saints to eat this Chicago offense alive and serve as a good stopgap for the week.
10. Also, since they are playing the Bears, if you have a chance to pick up a kicker, check out New Orleans’ Blake Grupe who is 17-21 in field goal attempts and a perfect 16-16 in extra point attempts this season.
BALL 'EM or BENCH 'EM?
This week, we have two scenarios for Chuck to sort out:
If you have to decide between Joe Mixon or Derrick Henry this week, first of all, who's your third RB??? You're in good shape. But go with Henry for the Thursday Nighter against Pittsburgh.
On another Running Back front, go with Isaiah Pacheco over Josh Jacobs this week. Pacheco will be entangled in a shootout against the Dolphins' defense in Germany early Sunday morning.